why ask why me?

Sunday, July 01, 2007

everyday heros

i couldn't sleep last night....

i don't know why...

so i found myself reading through the pile of magazines that had grown to astronomical proportions in my living room... the bonus of this is that now i have more packing material that i won't stop to read as i tear it apart to crumple up while packing.....

at some point i actually came across the june issue of glamor - no, i do not subscribe to this magazine... i bought it while on my job interview hunt so i could have something to read while eating at my new favorite inexpensive eatery - its not not quite fast food, its not quite take out, its not quite a restaurant - its an experience unto itself: chipotle.

so, anyway... i have been feeling dissatisfied lately because i don't do well when i don't have a route... yes, i have been going to the gym almost every day for @ 2 hours (cardio, lift with super trainer, then swim)... but that isn't enough....

and as much as i love loosing myself in your worlds for a couple hours a day - that isn't enough either....

i have always enjoyed and felt good about myself by volunteering.... however, i have actually found it hard to do so in this town - i have actually been turned away from some organizations for reasons such as: we only take groups, we only have church affiliates, we only have placements for teens/parolees/senior citizens, we are full up but will put you on our waiting list (and 3 years later i have not been called), we only do volunteer stuff on thursday's from 1-3, we don't use women... and the list goes on...

i mean - SERIOUSLY!!!

so then there was the day a few weeks ago, when i called the library about bringing in a large box of books - ok, granted, i wanted to find out about the procedure for getting a receipt so i could use it at tax time..... but these were all books in good condition... most were books that had been on the New York Times best seller list at some point in the last 10 years... OK, so instead of telling me what to do and when it would be a good time to do it - the librarian (remember - THIS IS HER JOB, something she is paid to do) WAS A COMPLETE AND UTTER BITCH!!!...

so, instead of donating 20 or so books (i am not quite sure of the exact number) to the library, i e-mailed a co-blogger who i know loves to read and asked her if she would like them and did a little "pay it forward"...... and i mailed them to her instead... ok, so it was a little bit expensive... but you know what - IT FELT REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!!! it felt a heck of a lot better than it would have felt giving them to that snooty library bitch.....

so anyway, back to the glamor magazine....on page 195 (for those of you who still read magazines), i came across an article about heroic deeds that you can do by just going online - and other simple things..... and it reminded me of when i had put up a link previously where all you had to do was click on a link and products would be given to women's shelters... so i went back into my archives.... the site had to shut down for now because they are so back logged - but i have set up a new section on the side of my blog, and i am calling it Help Save the World - Once Click At A Time:




corporate sponsors will donate a cup of food to people in need around the world



donate gently worn cocktail, bridesmaid, & prom dresses to a local program so girls can have prom dresses


Donate to Women's Shelters

This is the link I posted before.... or Call The National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-7233 to find a local shelter where you can drop off staples - items such as clothing, suit cases & bags, toiletries.... also items for children such as stuffed animals, backpacks, and school supplies are often forgotten abut when people donate.

Phone4Charity.org


Donate your old &/or outdated cell phone - they are sold to refurbishing plants & 80% of the money is sent o more than 500 charities - including the American Red Cross & the AIDS Healthcare Foundation - more than $1 million has been given out (or do what i have done and donate your phone to a woman's shelter)

Every Monday this site posts ways to help too.
now, i don't pretend that i am always a do gooder - but i do try to do my share - especially when it has to do w/ cancer, autism, or all i have to do is click on a button.... as i find more of these "easy to help" ideas, i am going to add them.... its the least i can do

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

  • I read that article as well--great idea.

    By Blogger Me, at Sunday, July 01, 2007  

  • That's so awesome! Thanks for reminding us to be on our best behavior! :)

    By Blogger Bre, at Sunday, July 01, 2007  

  • Well done! As I've emailed you and put on my blog, thank you soooo much for thinking of me! And don't worry, I've found a way to 'pay it forward' to someone else. Thanks for the links, I'm defintely going to check these out!

    By Blogger brandy, at Sunday, July 01, 2007  

  • I do a weekly local newsletter for my job and so I'm constantly on the local newspaper sites and I found a calendar of volunteers and community work needed here in my local community. We sign up for at least one thing a month - it does make you feel really really good!

    By Blogger Jackass Jenn, at Sunday, July 01, 2007  

  • I think they're called a casual dining experience.

    Thanks for the links.

    By Blogger -J, at Monday, July 02, 2007  

  • Donate Blood if you are healthy and able.

    Through work I've been able to help with Habitat for Humanity http://www.habitat.org/ and Rebuilding Together http://www.rebuildingtogether.org/index.php.

    Very rewarding and great learning experiences.

    Our public schools can always use volunteers too.

    By Blogger Psychomom, at Monday, July 02, 2007  

  • me - i know i needed a break once school got out, but at the same time, i need to feel like i am doing something valuable w/ my time... but since i am at the mercy of the schedules of others this summer, i haven't gotten much accomplished

    bre - lol, BEST behavior, i don't know... but better, maybe :)

    brandy - no prob hon, i know what its like to be unemployed yet extreamly marketable... its very very frustrating... and i am glad the books are in the hands of someone who appreciates them

    jenn - just tell me it's not manditory volunteerism... my old agency requred everone to volunteer 2x's a year in house and at least once outside the agency.... it resulted in a LOT of resentment... and a lot of people who previously enjoyed volunteering stopped, and even went out of their way to get OUT of the 2 in-house events

    j - only you would comment on the chipotle aspect of this post... *rolling my eyes* - MEN

    psychomom - ALL GOOD CAUSES....I have never heard of rebuilding together.... Unfortunatly for me, everytime i go to give blood they turn me away, my blood pressure is so low that i don't qualify (or it drops)....HfH is really hard to work with where I am right now due to my teaching schedule but when I was in college my sorority helped them one weekend... and well, since i WORK in a public school - for ME its kind of hard to volunteer, but in my town, they actually have a tax break program for senior citizens who are w/in a certain tax bracket to help them out too.... the kids benefit and so do the adults.. also a number of the elementary schools have buddy programs w/ local companies and agencies - its has brought the community into the schools which is really great for all

    By Blogger question girl, at Monday, July 02, 2007  

  • not mandatory, not even known by my company, just something I ran across when doing my job!

    By Blogger Jackass Jenn, at Monday, July 02, 2007  

  • What a nice thing to do! Thanks for being selfless and reminding people like me to do the same.

    By Blogger Beth, at Tuesday, July 03, 2007  

  • Thanks for the links, QG.

    I've run into the same thing, in that you really have to seek out places and ways to volunteer around here.

    By Blogger Bone, at Tuesday, July 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home