why ask why me?

Thursday, March 15, 2007

putting me first

i have always wanted to travel....

as a kid, the kids around me went on vacations to many different places such as disney, mexico, myrtle beach, and europe and various exotic islands.

for many years i didn't get why we didn't go to these great places (ESPECIALLY DISNEY).

eventually, i realized that i had gotten to go to many historical places in the country along with all the figure skating trips my parents financially sacrificed for me during my childhood, and ultimately i have phenomenal memories that i would never have had if things had been different.

but now what do I do for me?

well, part of my traveling, er, lack of traveling issue has been the lack of money.

the other problem is that i like to do SHARE my experiences with other people.

but since i am 30 and STILL single.... and still broke ----- well, i have decided that i am going to start traveling alone to the destinations that the guys that i am interested in are at....

now, i know you are all going to post comments that that is CRAZY.... give me SOME credit - i am not just going to get on a plane and go somewhere just to meet someone who is probably going to end up being a freak like the guy in december.....

these are going to be places that i WANT to go to..... with the possibility that i may also get a date out of it too... but not necessarily - and it is is a good or bad date, that is besides the point (but lets hope for it being a good one)

my first trip is going to be to washington dc in a couple weeks... i have been wanting to go to DC as an adult (the last time i was there i was 15) for YEARS but haven't gone for all the above listed reasons... and a friend of mine moved there @ 18 months ago and has been trying to get me to visit...

and i have been getting to know a guy who lives in the DC area.... and we were joking on the phone and, well, the words "when we visit" came rolling out of his mouth w/o a second thought

and then the next time we talked i found a way to slip it into the conversation again and he commented that he knows, being a teacher, i have a structured schedule and then asked about my spring break....

well, i made my reservations today....

i know i am going to go to the monuments, and the smithsonian, but where else should i plan on going?

14 Comments:

  • I feel terribly sad for people who have not experienced Disney. But DC sounds like a blast. I visit there as often as possible. Mostly for the chocolate covered gummi bears at Dean & Deluca...oh and that other cultural stuff too. ;) Have a blast.

    By Blogger Kerstin, at Friday, March 16, 2007  

  • Oh and some definite things you should do:

    1. The Spy Museum is a MUST
    2. The Holocaust Museum.
    3. The Monuments at night are the best I think.
    4. And if you're looking for some guys, I say take a day trip to Anapolis. ;)
    5. Definitely hit Georgetown for the nightlife too.

    By Blogger Kerstin, at Friday, March 16, 2007  

  • Oh and some definite things you should do:

    1. The Spy Museum is a MUST
    2. The Holocaust Museum.
    3. The Monuments at night are the best I think.
    4. And if you're looking for some guys, I say take a day trip to Anapolis. ;)
    5. Definitely hit Georgetown for the nightlife too.

    By Blogger Kerstin, at Friday, March 16, 2007  

  • I think its a great idea. Never been to DC myself, let me know how it goes

    By Blogger Jackass Jenn, at Friday, March 16, 2007  

  • Yay for trips! I went to DC for a long weekend and just adored it - such an amazing place!

    Cxx

    By Blogger Claire, at Saturday, March 17, 2007  

  • 1. Kerstin is right-- the Holocaust museum is really good.
    2. The Newseum ( a museum about newspapers) is cool.
    3. My favorite monument is Lincoln's.
    4. There is the GREAT Irish Pub in Capital Hill, right near the metro station.
    5. I think that the Cherry Trees will be in bloom, so take your camera!

    By Blogger Mary Alice, at Sunday, March 18, 2007  

  • YAY!!!!!! I'm so proud of you! This takes courage, but once you start you'll be addicted. You'll find that you are capable of doing so much more than you ever thought you could.

    My one travel tip though is to always take 100 in cash. 2 20s, 4 10s, the rest 5s and 1s. Tips for bell boys, exact change for subways, cab fare, all that sort of stuff that needs smaller bills.

    I'm so excited for you!

    By Blogger Melissa, at Sunday, March 18, 2007  

  • Great! DC is wonderful... Do Georgetown for the cafes and bars... I like the zoo and its free! Gosh you cant go wrong!

    As for travel... I just got back from a cruise and came back wishing that I had worked on a cruise ship when I was younger... got any talents?? It would be a great way to see the world and meet people from ALLLLL over!

    Happy travels! Oh and look for great airfares to Orlando and do Disney! Its great and there are TONS of cheap hotels here... even if you come for a weekend, its worth it! =]

    Cheers! Kate

    By Blogger kate, at Sunday, March 18, 2007  

  • DC is definitely a fun place to go and has so many areas to have fun in. I always liked Union Station - for whatever reason up there. But I think once you get to sample all the food and see all the museums and monuments, you'll likely have filled up you time there.

    I hope you have a great time.

    By Blogger -J, at Monday, March 19, 2007  

  • Hi there, Question Girl. got here through Thomas' page. I'm a PA girl, too. Have fun on your trip. You inspire me. I need to travel on my own, too. :-)

    By Blogger Tara Lynn Johnson, at Tuesday, March 20, 2007  

  • I wanna go away too...Wah!!! Sniffle, sniffle...

    ;)

    By Blogger Me, at Tuesday, March 20, 2007  

  • I think it sounds like a fabulous idea. If you're going to visit someone, then I wouldn't really consider that traveling alone. Even though you're driving alone, you will know someone when you arrive :)

    I've never been to DC, only driven thru on the way to New York.

    By Blogger Bone, at Tuesday, March 20, 2007  

  • wicked. Curious as to how everything plays out. Keep us in the loop.

    By Blogger IDigHootchAndCootch, at Wednesday, March 21, 2007  

  • Look, I know you were thinking of you and going off to visit the wild wonder of yore and such shit...

    but c'mon, come back already!

    By Blogger Jackass Jenn, at Wednesday, April 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home