why ask why me?

Thursday, August 24, 2006

forgiveness vs. forgetting......

**before i get 87 people telling me the same thing as cappy - i KNOW that the article i am responding to is a common occurance, but for some reason, today it gave me a bit of a kick and made me think**

you all know i am Jewish.... those of you who have memories like vices know that i am not the most religious.... however - i DO know my cultural history

one of the most memorable conversations i had in sunday school was with a rabbi, who came to my small town to live

one reason this was so memorable was that we had this conversation in private. we were talking about the holocaust... many of my classmates understood that it was a big deal, but they just didn't get it (granted we were only 8 or 9 years old)... but what made it such a big issue for me was that i remembered my great-grandmother, who had survived Auschwitz and she had an identification number on the inside of her wrist. I wanted to know MUCH more than they did - & evidently i displayed enough maturity that he was willing to do this with me

Rabbi had also survived the concentration camps as a young boy.... he showed me his "number" tattooed on his inner wrist.... he answered my questions

when we were finishing our discussion he looked at me long and hard.... i can still see his dark eyes, a bit glazed over as he remembered the past over his white beard

and then he told me the following:

FORGIVE, but NEVER FORGET

he told me to forgive the german people as a whole - as many of them were NOT NAZI supporters... he attributed his survival to the many germans who helped him to stay alive... additionally, although there are still people who agree with nazi principals, not all of them are german... but more importantly, he said you should never blame someone for what their forefathers believed or did

ok, so where am i going with this story....

i was taken aback this morning when i read the first line of this story: Israel Adds 2 Nuclear-Capable Submarines With the purchase of two more German-made

WHAT?????? i am sure i have, on occasion, purchased items made in german or made w/ parts made in germany

but i NEVER though i would live to see the day that, not only does Israel buy subs made by germans, but GERMANY IS FOOTING 1/3rd of the $1.3 BILLION cost!

Forgive, but NEVER forget echoes through my mind as i think of what an amazing change this is from 60 years ago

is this a case of an apology payoff? is this good faith? or does the new germany agree that the Israeli state has a right to protect itself from those who want to harm her and they truly want to help?

and then i wonder, who else is germany supporting with weapons?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • First
    It's most likely a business deal for Germany. Israel buying German equipment is nothin new. A lot of the reparations to Israel were in the form of goods, and this was the entry to Israel as a market for Germany.
    Second
    Elvis isn't dead. He works the night shift in a convenient store in Granville, Ohio.
    Last
    Titans good, Friday Night Lights better.

    By Blogger Cappy, at Thursday, August 24, 2006  

  • Ok, so I don't mean to make light of your post, its a good one, a thoughtful one...but frankly, it reminded me of a story.


    We were out clubbing and Robby was already pretty damn drunk and wandering all over the place. So Cindy grabbed her and put her phone number on Robby's arm and told her "In case you find yourself somewhere alone you won't forget the number..." and Robby, all of a sudden very fake-sober, said "I'm Jewish...you don't just go writing numbers on a jewish girl's arm..."

    Ok, maybe won't read so good, but if you were there, you would've been rolling in the aisles like we were.

    ummm....again, great post. Sorry I have nothing intelligent to add.

    By Blogger Jackass Jenn, at Thursday, August 24, 2006  

  • I'm sorry it was so upsetting to you, but Cappy is fairly right. I don't think it ties so much into any Nazi history, but perhaps more into who they would like to see win, or perhaps just a business move if they supply both sides.

    By Blogger -J, at Friday, August 25, 2006  

  • OK - I am going to say this AGAIN, in ANOTHER WAY

    I WAS NOT UPSET when i wrote this... it just made me THINK

    IT MADE ME THINK ABOUT LIFE, HISTORY, AND CHANGE!!!

    however, i AM annoyed that everyone seems to think that i was upset

    By Blogger question girl, at Friday, August 25, 2006  

  • Were you upset?

    By Blogger -J, at Monday, August 28, 2006  

  • jenn - i totally get what you are saying... and depending on who i was with i might have made a crack like that

    j - bite me

    but seriously, no i wasnt upset - it just made me think, at least i wasnt upset until everyone started e-mailing me and posting as though i dont know about economics, history, & government as though i was a two year old

    By Blogger question girl, at Monday, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home