why ask why me?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wednesday w/ Q. G.

I decided that today I was going to read the news and then write something here that showed my intelligent side.

And then I read the news.

I KNOW that the real world is all about terrorism, and murder, and fighting for human rights. I also know that people do "crazy" things like the Dr. in NYC who blew up his building, or that "accidents" happen like the deadly accident in Boston's big dig.
And the rest of the news was about sports. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE sports. I have fun watching them, playing them, and talking shit like the next fan...

But it just pushed my buttons a little to much today.

Why don't we ever see front page headlines about good things and people?

Why is it SO IMPORTANT that we KNOW that ball players are doing steroids (I know - they are illegal - but still: front page?) And WHO CARES about TomKat & Suri's birth certificate!!! (note - this is NOT worthy of a link!)

So I turned off my lap top, turned off the TV, put away the newspaper, piled the news magazines... And picked up a book.

But what was under the book is what I found so thought provoking.

I found a page-a-day calendar that a student (ok, her mom) gave me last winter (better than an apple). So I looked at all the pages I had to pull off, and found some funny jokes, some interesting stories, some useless information.

And then I read this:

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. The seem half asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

--- Morrie Schwarts from Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

It got me thinking about how much I take for granted everyday. I live in a relatively safe area. I have friends. I have family. I have my health. I have a job. I have a pet. I have my own vehicle.

I then started thinking about how I devote myself to others. I do this, sometimes to the detriment of myself. I am always offering my assistance. I am the one everyone calls when help is needed - a ride, information, child care, etc... AND I SAY YES.

Then I thought about how I devote myself to my community. I participate in various charity events. I donate time and money to other causes. I have, over many years, given of my time to special olympic sports. I helped w/ a habitat house. I have done adopt-a-highway - orange vest and all. I also know I could do more.

But I realized, I still haven't found something that gives me purpose and meaning once I step away from these activities. So, for the rest of the summer, my goal is to find something that does.

My question to you is: Do you know what it is in your life that gives you purpose and meaning?

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

  • I think alot of people pretend they know...but most of them are just as lost as we are.

    By Blogger IDigHootchAndCootch, at Wednesday, July 12, 2006  

  • Really good post. I think this is something many people hear as a whisper inside them. For me this has recently become a loud voice (don't worry it's a friendly one!) I too am a lucky person and put people before everything which is what it's all about I suppose. But there was still something making me dead to life. So I recently gave up my job and am now selling my house too. My hope was to feel the fear and confront myself to find something I really become alive too. I took a short holiday to get away from the fear a bit, it really helped. Early days still but I am finding a tiny part of the fear being replaced by joy as I seem to have hit upon what I want to do. It came as a surprise and it's kept me awake today because of excitement. This is why I am commenting on your site a 2:20 am with limited editing ability. Right, I'll stop now.

    By Blogger sif, at Wednesday, July 12, 2006  

  • You mean other than commenting on Thomas's blog?

    By Blogger -J, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • Purpose? I'm strictly ornamental. :)

    By Blogger Melissa, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • Yep. I'm good- Thanks.

    By Blogger HarleyWriter, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • Oh and if you would like more good news -

    http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

    By Blogger -J, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • Geez, now I'm going to be thinking about this all day.

    Thanks a lot! ;-)

    I'm really enjoying your blog.

    By Blogger Attila The Mom, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • I have no freaking idea.

    By Blogger Me, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • i can't watch the news for these very reasons- so depressing! there is so much good in the world. we have to just go out there and BE in it to understand that.

    as for what gives me purpose and meaning? loving people is at the top of my list.

    By Blogger Sizzle, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • I think what drives and inspires me is my daughter. The hope that I can say something to her in her young years that will affect her in a positive way for the rest of her life.

    She's my good deed because I am trying to show her that even when bad things happen around her that she can acknowledge them, study on how that could have been prevented, and move on to life's next greatest challenge with hope that she can make a difference in her world, like I want to make a difference in hers.

    Perhaps she'll be the anchor woman for World Wide Happy News.

    By Blogger CP, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

  • Just be glad you don't LIVE the news.

    By Blogger Barry, at Friday, July 14, 2006  

  • My purpose is only to love and be loved and be worthy of being loved. Sounds cheesy I know but what more important thing is there?

    Every religion is based on love. Every philosophy. Poetry even. It is all I do! :)

    As for the other stuff...I stopped watching the news long ago because it just got too much and would affect me way too much.

    I just give my attention more to happy things.

    Oh my other purpose is I want to inspire others to be happy and such

    I know I am a cheeseball ;)

    By Blogger Rachel Heather, at Friday, July 14, 2006  

  • Yes I do.

    By Blogger Phil, at Friday, July 14, 2006  

  • I think it it is a combination of teaching, the love I have from family and friends, and people like Barry and my friend David who ensure that I never take my days for granted, since they are out there on the line protecting my freedom.

    Lovely post, Question Girl.

    By Blogger ThursdayNext, at Saturday, July 15, 2006  

  • q girl-
    i, too, am active in at least half-a-dozen organizations here. i spend many nights (and many luncheons, too, for that matter) with different groups trying to solve different problems. I feel damn good at the end of the day. Now, a lot of people (including my ex-fiancee) don't believe in this. They feel writing a check every now and then covers their responsibilities. Hogwash! You need to put yourself in someone else's shoes to understand the hidden meaning(s) of life. Only then can you begin to live a life fulfilled.

    By Blogger Nigel Vossap, at Sunday, July 16, 2006  

  • I wish the media would lighten up a bit and try to make people smile for once.

    As for my purpose, I have no idea what mine is. I mean, there are parts of me that are useful: I'm friendly, helpful, willing to put the needs of others before my own. Yet somehow, I can't add that all up to come up with the sum of parts. I was told that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. When I figure out the sum, the whole purpose will be easier for me to understand.

    I don't know why I'm alive, but I'm glad I am.

    By Blogger Lowry, at Thursday, July 20, 2006  

  • #1 - I loved Skinny Legs and All.

    #2 - I help recovering addicts (like myself) get their lives back on track. There is something about helping a guy fresh off the streets, still raw, and helping him get some self respect back. I don't know what they get from me, but I know that I get more out of helping them than they can imagine.

    By Blogger Grampa, at Monday, July 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home