why ask why me?

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

July 4th Extravaganza

I am not a big holiday girl. But there is something about the 4th that makes me happy.

As a little girl my parents used to take me to the local park and we would have a picnic while listening to the music in the band shell. And then we would lay back and enjoy the fireworks.

When I got older, I went to summer camp near my aunt and she would take me. Ironically she would take me to the same park my dad used to go to when he was a kid. Again, we would enjoy whatever show they put on, and then we would lay back again and watch the fireworks.

The most strange year was the year in college that I took summer classes and got pneumonia. I watched the fireworks from a hospital room WAY UP - they were just as cool to watch - but from a different view - I was looking across AT them.

The last few years I have spent this holiday with friends of various natures. We will potluck during the afternoon... Maybe swim... And light a bonfire... And instead of cramming into our cars and joining the masses in town for the big fireworks display, we will go across to the neighbors farm (yeah, she lives in the middle of nowhere) and watch the farmers fireworks show...

The difference now is that I get even more enjoyment out of watching all of the kids reactions than my own.

So no matter who you are, where you are, and who you are - or are not - with, I hope you have a fabulous day and can find the kid inside of you to enjoy the view.

3 Comments:

  • What a lovely post! I hope you enjoyed your Fourth! This year it is raining in New York, so I wonder how the fireworks in the city will fare later. :(

    By Blogger ThursdayNext, at Tuesday, July 04, 2006  

  • thanks thursday... i hope it all works out - i used to LOVE watching the NYC fireworks AFTER we got home from the park

    ONE year i was actually on the NJ side of the hudson and got to see them...

    THAT WAS THE BEST

    By Blogger question girl, at Tuesday, July 04, 2006  

  • Nice post. I've been getting a little bored with fireworks lately -- they're all the same. But when you see kids seeing them, you remember how thrilling they once were.

    By Blogger Neil, at Thursday, July 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home