why ask why me?

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Blog Crushes?

This post is based upon a VERY interesting phone conversation with a fellow blogger yesterday.

As you all can see I have no real identifiable information - I work in a public school in a very closed minded area. They could fire me for "moral" issues, and have done so for lesser reasons. Additionally, I value my privacy (but I LOVE e-mail.)

I had been lurking in the bloggerhood for a few weeks before I finally gave in and made my own blog. I then still lurked for a bit before I started posting & commenting. And then I came out of my shell, and I am even sarcastic in some of my comments. All of this with a "secret" e-mail and pseudonym.

So, fellow male blogger and I have been e-mailing each other for a couple of weeks. And yeah, a bit of innocent flirting has been going on. He has been trying to get me to call him for 2 weeks. I don't know why, but I gave him my number yesterday.

And he called.

And we talked. For an hour & a half.

He is funny, and smart, and just as charming on the phone as he has been in e-mail.

He then tells me, one of his girl friends thinks I have a blog crush on him. I thought about it and admitted, yeah - a little. He admitted the same.

So I spent most of the evening thinking about this phenomena. I have come to the following conclusions:

  • Blog crushes are safe
  • Blog crushes are fun
  • Blog crushes are easier to be yourself with than IRL crushes
  • Blog crushes take flirting in an entirely new direction

So, fellow bloggers - my questions to you:

  • Have you ever had a blog crush?
  • Have you ever or would you ever act upon said crush if the opportunity arose?
  • What are your overall thoughts on the topic?

I (we) can't wait to read your thoughts!


11 Comments:

  • I can't remember where this topic came up a few weeks ago--maybe with Lowry or AlieMalie's blog. It was an interesting topic then, and I think it's a worthy one to talk about again.

    Crushes are interesting enough on their own. I've found that, even though I'm married, I still acquire "crushes" on people IRL and via blogging. That doesn't mean I wanna rip their clothes off or anything, just that I admire something about the people. Anyway, I'll admit to this:

    1. I have/had a couple of blog crushes.
    2. Being married, I wouldn't act upon the crushes.
    3. My overall thoughts...blog crushes are fun and give us an outlet for some innocent flirting and conversation. In that respect, they're like IRL crushes.

    Finally, if you're single, and you seem to be getting along with your blog crush, I say go for it. :) Life's too short to spend it totally online.

    By Blogger Me, at Sunday, July 09, 2006  

  • I agree, blog crushes are fun and the internet does open up a whole world of interesting people, especially when you get to know their personalities through their blogs. Yes, I've had blog crushes. I might be having one RIGHT NOW! Then again, maybe not. I'll never tell.

    By Blogger Phil, at Sunday, July 09, 2006  

  • You have to give us a name! Blogosphere Rule #7 says you have to.

    By Blogger Thomas, at Sunday, July 09, 2006  

  • name for a blog crush....

    blush - nah, too girly

    crogs - nah, too aussi

    hummmmm, any ideas anyone else?

    By Blogger question girl, at Sunday, July 09, 2006  

  • Now I want to know who it is!!

    I have yet to have a blog crush but I have made quite a few friends in blogger land.

    I think they are safe and fun. However, since we all put up a slight "front" it would be wise to really know said crush before meeting them in person.

    I know someone who met the blog crush had relations with him only to get her heart stomped on.

    As with any meetings via internet, they can be fun and a great way to meet people outside your "coverage" area..just always good to play it safe for a bit :)

    By Blogger Rachel Heather, at Monday, July 10, 2006  

  • I LOVE having crushes. I have one right now. What I'm learning though is that the more I get to know him (email and phone) the more I value him. His friendship is quickly becoming something I hope to keep for a very long time.

    By Blogger Melissa, at Monday, July 10, 2006  

  • Have you read this story?...
    Actually, maybe you shouldn't... haha

    By Blogger HarleyWriter, at Monday, July 10, 2006  

  • Oh yeah I have absolutely had blog crushes. It is funny how it happens initially just from reading some posts and then all of a sudden there you are. Fun stuff. Just take it easy and safe.

    Scott

    By Blogger Scott, at Monday, July 10, 2006  

  • harly - you are one twisted man

    ; )

    By Blogger question girl, at Monday, July 10, 2006  

  • The main reason to blog is for the blog crushes.

    By Blogger Neil, at Tuesday, July 11, 2006  

  • 1. Certainly.

    2. Certainly!

    3. They're awesome.

    By Blogger The Retropolitan, at Thursday, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home